Business owners are speaking out for net neutrality during Small Business Saturday and Cyber Monday
Congress’ deadline to overturn the FCC’s net neutrality repeal is rapidly approaching and we need small business owners’ help to pressure lawmakers to do the right thing. This weekend, millions of people will be scouring social media for Holiday deals. This is the perfect chance for business owners to remind customers that we need strong net neutrality rules to ensure small companies can compete on a level playing field with online web giants.
With net neutrality in place, consumers can discover great deals and services from small businesses across the country. Without them, companies who can’t afford expensive new “prioritization fees” will find their sites loading slower than others or blocked entirely. Monopoly Internet service providers–not consumers–will be able to choose which businesses succeed online.
To help restore net neutrality, we’re helping business owners to speak out on social media. If you run your own company can you join in and schedule some tweets and Facebook posts to go out on Small Business Saturday and Cyber Monday? We have sample copy you can use below.
Personalized tweets that tag your members of Congress will have the most impact, so be sure to spend a few minutes customizing them with your unique voice.
Sample Posts for #SmallBusinessSaturday: Saturday, November 24th
- In honor of #SmallBusinessSaturday, visit BusinessesForNetNeutrality.com to see the 7,000+ small businesses that have joined the fight for #NetNeutrality. Pressure your lawmakers via DeadlineForNetNeutrality.com
- If Congress does not take immediate action to reinstate strong #NetNeutrality protections, U.S. companies may one day be forced to pay monopoly ISPs a toll to reach their customers. Stand up for the open Internet at DeadlineForNetNeutrality.com #SmallBusinessSaturday
- Gutting #NetNeutrality is anti-innovation, anti-business, and anti-free speech. See the 7,000+ small businesses fighting for an open Internet at BusinessesForNetNeutrality.com, then take action at DeadlineForNetNeutrality.com to demand Congress pass the CRA. #SmallBusinessSaturday
- An Internet without #NetNeutrality is the opposite of an open market. If we don’t keep up the fight to restore the rules, monopoly ISPs will choose winners & losers instead of consumers. Take action: DeadlineForNetNeutrality.com #SmallBusinessSaturday
- Consumers should pick winners and losers, not monopoly ISPs. That’s why we’re proud to stand with over 7,000 small businesses demanding #NetNeutrality. You can see who they are here: BusinessesForNetNeutrality.com #SmallBusinessSaturday
Sample Posts for Cyber Monday: Monday, November 26th
- Without #NetNeutrality, small businesses won’t stand a chance against Internet giants like @Amazon, which captures over 50% of online sales during the US holiday season. Stand up for the open Internet on #CyberMonday: DeadlineForNetNeutrality.com
- Consumers should pick winners and losers, not monopoly ISPs. That’s why we’re proud to stand with over 7,000 small businesses demanding #NetNeutrality. You can see who they are here: BusinessesForNetNeutrality.com #CyberMonday
- The open Internet is a driving force in today’s economy. That’s why we have to keep up the fight for #NetNeutrality. Sign the open letter on DeadlineForNetNeutrality.com to call on Congress to take action before time runs out on December 10th. #CyberMonday
Congress has until December 10th to file a resolution overturning the FCC, so Small Business Saturday and Cyber Monday come in the nick of time. We really hope you can help out and the team at Fight for the Future will be sure to amplify the best of what we see posted online.